Thursday 11 March 2010

Farlington Marsh Kestrel Take-off

Discovered Farlington Marshes, nr Portsmouth. Spent a morning there spotting lots of new birds for the 2010 Bird List. As I started my walk around the site I stopped at a pond, marked on the map of the site as a lake. As I looked out over the water, a head popped up. I'd hoped for an opportunity to get a Little Egret close up and here he was.
Lots of photography followed, mainly for scrapbook and ID purposes. It was a great day and the sun shone down. The Brent Geese were gathered in their hundreds, preparing for their migration. As I prepared to leave, I caught site of a Kestrel hunting close to the A27. He took a rest on a nearby street-lamp, giving me the opportunity to train the lens and prepare for take-off. This was the result.
A great place to go for a few hours. I plan to return for dawn on a high tide day. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment